Sunday, April 18, 2010
Last Sunday night the Calvary Bible Church membership approved the transfer of the property at 5495 East Main Street in Comstock to the ownership of Calvary East effective June 1, 2010. Ninety-two percent of the members present voted in favor of the recommendation that was made by Calvary’s Elders.
So where do we stand in our process of becoming an independent church?
To date we have:
- Welcomed charter members.
- Drafted and adopted three important organizing documents for our church: Bylaws, a Statement of Faith, and Relational Commitments.
- Affirmed elders and deacons who have the authority to take legal action on behalf of the church.
- Called a pastor.
Our Church Council has:
- Set up Calvary East as a corporation with the State of Michigan
- Selected men to serve as Church Council Chairman (George Malley), Treasurer (Brian Matecun), Secretary (Ron Hutchison), and Financial Secretary (David Foster).
- Established a written financial policy to make sure that all of our financial dealings are above reproach.
At present the Church Council is working to:
- Establish a budget for the next fiscal year that begins June 1. The budget will be available to review in May.
- Make arrangements for banking, insurance, payroll and other necessary administrative details.
- Complete the paperwork necessary to receive official recognition of our non-profit status from the IRS.
- Seek out additional men who aspire to serve as an elder or deacon.
Our independence should be final by June 1. Until that time, any offerings you give should still be payable to Calvary Bible Church.
Pray for our Church Council to have God’s wisdom as they set direction for our church.
– Bryan Craddock