Preaching is central to the ministry of Calvary East.
The Apostle Paul wrote that, “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work” (2 Tim 3:16). In other words, God has given us everything we need to know about spiritual life in the Bible.
In light of the Bible’s sufficiency, Paul then instructed his protégé, Timothy, to, “preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching” (2 Tim 4:2). Since the Christian church was built upon this dependence upon Scripture. We believe that this same practice should be continued today.
At Calvary East we aim for our preaching to be:
- Humble – delivered in a spirit of reverence toward God and compassion toward people
- Expositional – explaining the meaning of a Scripture passage in light of its cultural, historical, and literary context
- Evangelistic – highlighting the good news of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ
- Practical – helping hearers identify specific steps that need to be taken in response to what is learned
- Engaging – using a variety of strategies such as illustrations, visual aids, and note sheets, to help hearers of all ages (particularly children) to listen and learn
To see how all of this comes together, visit our sermons page.